January 11, 2006

Bud puts on his lobster bib

The Maritime report

I realize that I have been selfish, as my Down East Vitriolic Friend has been adding little rejoiners to my posts, but I have done nothing for her. Therefore, I will write on a couple of issues from a Maritime perspective. All references are from the Telegraph-Journal from Saint John (Friday, Jan. 6th) made available by a Maritimer.


Martin shoots himself in the foot again

Eric Ferguson, a 24 year veteran of the RCMP, and ex-police chief of Saint John, N.B. has dissed Martin's handgun ban policy. In a letter to the editor, in The Telegraph-Journal, (Friday, Jan. 6, A-9) he pointed out the sheer illogic of the Liberals' plan to ban handguns. He wrote, "For the past 6 or 7 years I have stood by and watched the Liberals mismanage gun control, and in the process not saving one life, but encouraging criminals to commit more offences and yes, helping to turn good, honest Canadians into criminals." Mr. Ferguson is echoing Toronto's ex-chief, Julian Fantino, who stated that, "The federal long-gun registry has not helped us solve one single gun death." Two billion dollars would have bought a brought a number of new police and customs officers to catch the gunmen and the smugglers. I suspect that Eric is infuriated by the idea that--ostensibly to placate the good burgers of Hogtown--the Liberals will waste billions more on a handgun registry. I don't know about Maritimers, but I suspect they will be like we Lotuslanders and simply disobey the law anyway. There are a huge number of people who won't even register for their long guns. Good on ya. Eric.


When pigs have wings

New Brunswick may be a small province, but their politicians like to live large. The N.B. PC (provincial wing of the Conservative Party of Canada) delegation flew to Hong Kong, not in economy, but in business class. This cost the N.B. taxpayers $23,000 more than if they had gone economy (as all the private delegates did). This was an agricultural trade mission, so it's possible that the 16 hour trip demanded that its delegates not keel over from deep vein strokes. However, the Telegraph-Journal pointed out that they stayed in the $689 a night Ritz Carleton Hotel--for a total cost of $16,536. While the total bill for this trip has not been tabulated (never will be?), one interviewee did say that the $65 seafood buffet was "very impressive". The word from those who have eaten in Hong Kong is that some of its restaurants that the locals favour are "impressive" to say the least. Why can't politicians ferret out one of the thousands of reasonable eateries, dine on succulent food, and actually dine among people who aren't tourists caught in an expensive tourist trap?

Speaking of traps, I hope that my Maritime contact sets a few, so she can repay me with some air-freighted lobsters for this blog. Otherwise the bib comes off.

Ok, One more item. The NB court system won't give a guy an immediate divorce based on the wife's adultery. The wife had a lesbian affair, but that doesn't fall under the old adultery laws, so he has to wait for one year more to dump her. He complained about the "unfairness of it all". The article points out that when same-sex marriage legislation came into being, these little wrinkles weren't considered. I remember that, in BC, we had a similar case, and the female judge granted divorce based on adultery. Surely, that judgment makes sense. Get with the times, you hewers of wood and cutters of fries. Sorry, my Fiddlehead Friend, about that crude stereotype. May I keep the bib on?

Bud Talkinghorn


Go for it, Bud, but you don't get lobster until you agree to eat all your fiddleheads. I'm really getting into this Librano$ Big-Brother-knows-best schtick--you-will-get-what-we-decide-to-give-you-because-we-have-decided-it's-good-for-you approach. It's so empowering--and enriching--and, if I join the Lieberals, could I get to suck on the teat -- maybe get a small ACOA/AIF or Technology Partnerships Grant? EI -- as a budding artist? Anyway, Bud, plan on sending your kids to Librano$-sanctioned daycare where they will be indoctrinated by lefties who believe in the innate goodness and generosity of Big Brother. Oh, yes, and eat your fiddleheads. I guess that that ends your lobster dinner--I know you're a meat and potatoes guy, but green veggies like fiddleheads and spinach are really good for you. I think I feel more empowerment coming on ... Now, eat up, and lobster dinner will be my top priority ... delivered over five years ... after we have gorged ourselves, of course. It's da Librano$ way. NJC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home