February 08, 2006

PM Harper & Short-term PR Hit

I think we finally may have a PM who thinks that getting the job done right is more important that a short term PR hit... Cloud of Idiot Gas, Monday, February 06, 2006

[....] The only reason to jump into a fire like this one is to do it on purpose... which means there would be a damn good reason... and the ONLY reason that could possible even closely compare to the PR disaster is that Harper… looked around, found the best guys for the job, and decided (in the case of both Emerson and Fortier) that having the right, competent guys running certain key files, working for the good of Canada is more important than bad press.

if that’s the case... which I kinda think it is.. then Harpers cabinet appointments is simply the gutsiest political move I've seen.... EVER!

time will till but I think we finally may have a PM who thinks that getting the job done right is more important that a short term PR hit...


Andrew Coyne does not agree. I don't like the optics of it but:

* Had PM Harper not got representation for Montreal and Vancouver, mainstream media would have been all over him, negative about his not having representation from the whole country -- that the Conservative Party is not a national party.

* I have read enough to know that Canada, security and our ability to even have a democracy not controlled by ... shall I say those who stood to benefit (think power and $$$), those who would not necessarily act in Canada's best interests if it conflicted with their own; therefore, I do not like Harper's move but it may be necessary to accomplish what has seemed impossible ... to end the fact that our country has been run by self-serving cr**** or cr*******. (Make an educated guess.)

* I have been appalled by what I have learned over the last four years ... and I read more than many and still know too little. Think how little most Canadians who have family duties know of what has really been going on -- too little time and too many responsibilities. I am willing to trust this decent Canadian, Stephen Harper, to act in the best interests of Canada ... even when it will leave the mainstream media/CBC apoplectic and garner nasty comments. I suspect Stephen Harper knew that, and yet, he was willing to go through the negative for something that has to be done.

* Look into the Prince Rupert Terminal business, BC Rail, the Olympics and contracts, and related items. Check who are on the Olympic Organization Board and then check further. Check the development on the Sea to Sky Highway. Check into the Asia-Pacific ... Association? (I forget the exact name--check) Min. Emerson under the Liberals learned a few things on that file. There was much Liberal massaging of Asian representation, perhaps in a lead-up to the Olympics, perhaps for business in China, much push for Chinese from China for translation and networks, as I remember. Oh, yes, did I mention the Prince Rupert area? Do look into that. Industry Minister Emerson may know where some bodies are buried in all of this ... or not and he's just a guy PM Harper appears to respect.

* Fortier? I know too little yet but he is going to have to go through an election so I'm willing to wait for the people to speak. He does come from the city that needs some government representation while a clean-out / clean-up occurs. He may know where a few bodies are buried too. I hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home