May 07, 2005

Hansard May 4, 05: Minister of Citizenship and Immigration

Hansard May 4, 05

Mr. Rahim Jaffer (Edmonton—Strathcona, CPC): Mr. Speaker, the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration has a bad habit of race-baiting. Yesterday, he accused a huge group of Canadians, including me, of being members of the KKK. I have heard about being colour blind, but that is outrageous. Does the minister take pride in inciting hatred against Canadians?

When will the Prime Minister demand that minister's resignation?

Right Hon. Paul Martin (Prime Minister, Lib.): Mr. Speaker, the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration has already expressed the context in which these remarks were made. He has said that he wished--

Some hon. members: Oh, oh!

The Speaker: Order, please. The Prime Minister has the floor. The right hon. Prime Minister will continue.

Right Hon. Paul Martin: Mr. Speaker, the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration has already given the context in which these remarks were made. He has already said that he wished he had not said those remarks in the way that he did. I would also hope that the members of the opposition who engaged in attacks on Canadians of Italian origin and offended would also apologize. If I might--

(1450)

The Speaker: The hon. member for Edmonton--Strathcona.

Mr. Rahim Jaffer (Edmonton—Strathcona, CPC): Mr. Speaker, it is incredible that the Prime Minister will defend the actions of that minister. His record is appalling. Last week he was forced to apologize after slurring a Sikh member of this House. He also told the Sikh community to shut up about ministerial permits. Now he is slandering all of us. He is not fit to represent Canadians in this portfolio.

Does the Prime Minister agree with that minister or will he fire this embarrassment to Canadians?

Right Hon. Paul Martin
(Prime Minister, Lib.): Mr. Speaker, the fact is, the remarks on both sides of this issue were intemperate and unfortunate. What I would now say to the Leader of the Opposition and the leaders of the other parties is that if one takes a look at what is happening in this House, at the lack of civility, the accusations and the allegations that are not allowed to be made outside--

Some hon. members: Oh, oh!

The Speaker: Order. Members have to listen to both sides. We have a question. We are hearing an answer. Members will listen to both. We will have the Prime Minister, who has time remaining for his answer.

Right Hon. Paul Martin: Mr. Speaker, I would ask the opposition parties to understand that no one looks good in this House with the lack of civility, the allegations, the accusations, the kinds of intemperate remarks that are heard. What I really believe is that Canadians expect better of us. I would hope that the opposition would give the opportunity for civilized debate-- [No answers will be forthcoming, whatever the style of debate in the House, unfortunately. NJC]

The Speaker: The hon. member for Durham.

Ms. Bev Oda (Durham, CPC): Mr. Speaker, they applaud when they call the kettle black. As a member of the official opposition, I have been called an extreme racist by the immigration minister. No one in this House, never mind the millions of Canadians who voted for the Conservatives, should be subjected to such a low act of desperation. The Liberal Party will not deny in this House its own corruption and is flailing about with extreme accusations to deflect the truth.

Will the Prime Minister remove his immigration minister?

Hon. Joseph Volpe (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Lib.): I am sorry, Mr. Speaker, but my voice will not carry as well today. I have already indicated that I had an intemperate use of language, prompted by my
abject anger at the racial slur and the ethnic slur directed my way. I gave an indication, and I thought I already made that statement publicly. For me, I am saddened by the fact that I have to learn yet again that there is no
depth to which some of these people will not descend when they want to--

The Speaker: The hon. member for Durham.

Ms. Bev Oda (Durham, CPC): Mr. Speaker, the immigration minister, I remind the House, has already been forced to withdraw comments attacking a Sikh member. To have a minister, particularly the immigration minister, who has a propensity for racial slurs is unacceptable.

They are not racial slurs if the public and the media believe that there are characteristics of that party that are similar to a popular television program. If the shoe fits, wear it. Will the Prime Minister demand his resignation or--

The Speaker: The hon. Minister of Citizenship and Immigration.

Hon. Joseph Volpe (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Lib.): Mr. Speaker, my record of the last three months as a cabinet minister for immigration will speak for itself.

As I said earlier on, I was deeply saddened by the response of the member for Edmonton—Strathcona and the member for Durham who missed the opportunity to condemn the actions and the member for Kelowna and his colleague from Calgary Centre who perpetuated a stereotypical image of 1.5 million members of our Canadian family.

I have given an indication already of my intemperate use of language, but I think the shame should be right--

(1455)

The Speaker: The hon. member for Thornhill.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home